Skip to main content

Eighty Percent Water

Odd blog title. Thought it may be worth explaining it here. 

According to someone* I met recently, we are 80% water. We as in human beings. All of us.

That probably explains the water cooler business, Evian's profit margin and why I almost always need a pee in the middle of the night.

Or maybe that's age.

Anyway, the point is, if we are all 80% water then we really aren't all that different are we? You, me, the boss, the boss's boss. We're all human. We all need to drink, we all need to pee.

And if you boil it down to 80% water we really shouldn't be that scared of each other. Or deal with each other as if we're all that different. And yet we often are, we often do. People very often approach other people as if they are a completely alien race. Managers do it with teams, employees do it with management. Shareholders do it. Bad marketing departments do it with customers.

But we're not a different race. 80% of us is water. So at least 80% of us is transient, vulnerable, and identical. So, bear that in mind next time you're talking to a colleague, a boss, or a customer. 




*probably not a scientist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's to the Sloggers

As part of my work over the past few years I've spent a lot of time in project meetings relating to HR Systems implementations - first UK wide, now global. I'm not a systems guru, or an IT geek (in fact the thought of me tinkering around with tech would make my brother - our family's actual IT guru - cry with laughter) but I love a problem to solve and the utopia of reliable, accessible, agile data that drives all the transformational activity we as a business want to achieve is one I've been determined to reach. Consequently, solving that problem landed with me.  It's not glamourous. In fact if you want to send most HR and operational people into a mild coma, you could do worse than start talking about data fields and user profiles and interfaces. The challenge with HR and systems is that HR people LOVE the front end. They are crazy about shiny techy toys, about getting stuff online, about social and intuitive and all that jazz. But they don't want to lift th...

Whose Monkey Is It Anyway?

If you work for me, or with me, you will be well versed in my love for a metaphor. Today for example, I pushed a 'welcome to the party' metaphor so far that, by the time I'd finished, the police had been called and people were outside sitting on the kerb feeling sorry for themselves. One of my favourites stems from a Polish saying "Not my Circus; not my monkeys". I love this, not because I like a slopy-shouldered sentiment. Quite the opposite; because the phrase begs the obvious question: "Whose monkeys are they then?". My team will often find themselves grilled by me on monkey ownership. "Who has this monkey?", "Do we have track of all our monkeys?", "Do you each know which are your monkeys?". Monkey ownership. Its a useful concept. One that organisations undergoing change, or that move at pace, or that have fluid structures often struggle with. I've worked in some organisations (usually German) that have monkey own...

On Lizards & Lions

This is the transcript of a talk I gave to Northampton School For Girls on International Women's Day. It was a 30 minute talk, so for that reason is longer than my usual posts! Before I began I asked each of them to write down the positive things that made them unique. Their core values, strengths, abilities, personality traits. (I also talked a bit about the business I work for. Because this is a personal blog I've taken that part out.) So. What am I going to talk to you about?  I was going to talk to you about International Women’s Day. I was going to talk about how today should have been my birthday, which would have made my feminist mother proud, except I came two days early instead. I could have talked about how that was a good metaphor for my impatience and the ways in which we can unwittingly confound our parents’ expectations. I was going to talk to you about all the things that my mother’s generation achieved for women, and all the things we still need t...