Skip to main content

In ?? We Trust

I stumbled across this article in Harvard Business Review this morning 

FINALLY! I thought, someone (other than Patrick Lencioni) is talking about trust as a precursor to just about every element of business success.

And then I read on, and I pulled a face a bit like this...
I mean, I applaud the research (even though it falls everso slightly into the category of “socio/psychological research into the stuff most of us know deep down to be true anyway”). It basically says that organisations with a high level of trust in their culture perform better.

Simple right? Logical, non? After all Mr Lencioni has been telling us this for decades. Now the scientists agree. Excellent.

Except...

What the scientists basically measured was Ocytocin levels. And Ocytocin is the neurochemical of trust, true. But it’s also the neurochemical of connection, love, attachment and (whisper it) the stuff that courses through your veins after really good sex.

We need more oxytocin in our lives people. And I 100% agree that organisations need to be focused on generating more Oxytocin amongst their people. Organisations are, generally speaking Cortisol factories - pressure, fear, stress, anger, shame, competition for scarce resources all combine to fire that stuff through our veins instead. Oxytocin is the antidote.

But to reduce that sense of safe-happy-buzzy-creative-compassionate-thriving-supportive-courageous-collaborative good stuff down to only “Trust”, sells the concept short. That’s my first problem.

My second is that trust (like all human emotions) is a highly subjective and personal experience. Different cultures build and measure trust in hugely different ways. Research has shown (read Erin Meyer’s ‘The Culture Map for some fascinating work on this) that in the US, for example, trust is about knowing someone will do what they say they will. In a relatively new country made up of immigrants there’s no lengthy shared history to base trust on - it’s built from someone delivering on their promises. Yet in large parts of Europe, trust is about knowing someone deeply and more roundly at a human level. Trust, in essence means “I feel safe with you, I know you don’t mean me harm”. And what makes people feel this varies hugely. 

So I take issue with this Harvard Business Review fella’s rather linear approach, and his (frankly disappointing) recommendations. I don’t think reciprocal trust (and that’s what we’re shooting for folks) is generated by goal setting, driving a fancy pool car for a week, or any other of the suggestions offered here. Trust in organisations is about courage, transparency, community, genuinely believing that the business or your colleagues will not screw you over to save themselves. It’s about honesty, adult interactions, tough decisions and mature conversations. Lencioni was right; it is the foundation of everything. And HBR are right, it’s critical to business success. But it’s not straightforward & it’s not as easy as A, B, C.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

95% Water

I had a Bloody Good Cry yesterday. A 'BGC', if you will. My friends will tell you that I am a pretty good crier.  A sweepstake was taken at my wedding to see how long it took before I welled up (I confounded the lot of them by not shedding a single tear on the day and then bawling like a baby a week later on honeymoon when we renewed our vows with Elvis in Vegas. Go figure.) I cry for many reasons - hormones, tiredness, frustration, happiness, acts of kindness. I used to be ashamed of it. It isn't good to cry, so society will tell you. Big girls don't. Babies do. It's weak, unprofessional, manipulative, selfish, makes other people feel bad and you look bad. So many reasons to bottle it up, keep a stiff upper lip. But these days I am not ashamed of it, and here's why: Science Crying is one of your body's ways of getting rid of chemicals that you don't need, and generating those that make you feel better. When you have a BGC you shed hormones and ch

Here's to the Sloggers

As part of my work over the past few years I've spent a lot of time in project meetings relating to HR Systems implementations - first UK wide, now global. I'm not a systems guru, or an IT geek (in fact the thought of me tinkering around with tech would make my brother - our family's actual IT guru - cry with laughter) but I love a problem to solve and the utopia of reliable, accessible, agile data that drives all the transformational activity we as a business want to achieve is one I've been determined to reach. Consequently, solving that problem landed with me.  It's not glamourous. In fact if you want to send most HR and operational people into a mild coma, you could do worse than start talking about data fields and user profiles and interfaces. The challenge with HR and systems is that HR people LOVE the front end. They are crazy about shiny techy toys, about getting stuff online, about social and intuitive and all that jazz. But they don't want to lift th

The Lost Art of Listening

We don't listen enough. In a world where all of us are broadcasters, content creators, self-promoters, listening has become a lost art. We're too busy trying to saying something smart/witty/provocative/heartfelt, too busy trying to stand out. Ironically, too busy trying to be heard. We forget to listen. We tweet, we Insta, we SnapChat, the old folks still Facebook, recruiters and weirdos LinkedIn. And in those worlds, we are concerned with broadcast. Look at me. Hear me. Read what I have to say. Behold what I had for breakfast. And if I don't want to hear what you say? I can mute you, un-follow you or de-friend you. That way, you have to listen to me, but I can 'la-la-la' your reality out of mine with the click of a button or a swipe of my finger.  And its a problem. Because growth doesn't happen with the volume dial up. Connection doesn't happen without reception. We don't learn anything new while we are talking. No real understanding was ever