Skip to main content

No, really, Time's Up.

If you've ever studied psychology at any level you will have come across the Stanford Prison Experiment. In which a group of students were randomly chosen to act the role of either prisoner or prison officer, and given certain rules and artefacts that reinforced their role. The upshot of the experiment was that ordinary students did some pretty crappy things to fellow students after not long at all, influenced solely by the culture that had been created around them, many elements of which in isolation could look pretty benign.

I'm reminded of it as I try to explain my take on women in the workplace to various people. 

The Presidents' Club dinner for example. The media's take on this is to focus on examples of poor/lewd/shitty behaviour from some of the men in attendance. Because of course, sex sells and the topic du jour is sex scandals of varying forms. 

That isn't my primary issue with the Presidents' Club. Imagine for a moment we are talking about the Stanford Prison Experiment instead. Lots of similar arguments could fall out - "We should name and shame those students beating other students!", "But lots of the prisoners were OK with what happened", "Who would choose to take part in something like that?", "People had free will....".

Sound familiar? Imagine if Zimbardo had taken from his experiment what we seem to be focusing on in relation to the Presidents' Club 'expose'. What might have happened? A few expulsions maybe? A lot of noise and not much learning? 

What the Stanford Prison Experiment teaches us is that culture and therefore behaviour is created by a cocktail of lots of smaller, often seemingly harmless, elements. The 'prison officers' were given mirrored sunglasses - not in itself enough to lead some of them to abuse their fellow students, but it helped 'dehumanise' them and distance them from their friends further down the road. Dressing the prisoners in sloppy shapeless outfits may not have seemed that important, but when some of them simply accepted the poor treatment being doled out to them, how much of an influence was it then?

My point? The bigger, more newsworthy, shocking elements of the Presidents' Club debacle stem from the very foundations of the event itself. It was men-only, despite that not being implicit in the event title or necessary for the event purpose (a charity fundraiser for rich business people to attend). The staff were all female, and had themselves certain clothing and behaviour codes to follow that reinforced their decorative nature and their subservience. The balance of power was off from the start - significantly off. And that balance of power, and all the small cultural codes that implicitly said 'the men are more significant than the women, who are here to entertain them' led eventually to some of the men behaving in some pretty shitty ways. 

Is the problem the shitty men? Or is the problem the fundamental structure of the event? 

A while back I sat in a boardroom with an executive team discussing diversity and inclusion. A group of good men, men who I knew to be kind in lots of ways. But all men. All white men. One had raised the question of whether, in a business that was over 80% male, we should be thinking about diversity. 

An odd, stilted conversation ensued for a while - responses ranging from "that's just the way the industry is" to "why is it that 'these people' don't reach senior levels of management?". After a while I spoke up. Firstly I observed that it was interesting that while discussing diversity, despite there being a woman in the room, the conversation was dominated by men. Not one of whom had asked for my opinion. As I started to offer it some responses got defensive. One man was very keen to wave the exit interviews of young females in my face to prove there was no diversity problem - despite the data saying otherwise. Another (who had used the phrase 'these people') acknowledged the clumsy language but wanted to focus on some examples of misogyny he felt he'd observed in his colleagues. 

In essence, the atmosphere became tenser. Responses became defensive. It happened again to me in my last Times Up blog - good men got defensive. Because people think I'm saying 'you are a shitty man' or 'men are shitty'. I'm not. I'm saying the system is shitty, and very often we contribute to the system unwittingly or by thinking it's harmless. We all do it. I do, you do. That doesn't make us misogynists or sexual predators. But it makes us complicit, and it sure as heck makes us responsible for the solution. 

This is why I have a fundamental issue with 'Women in Leadership' type events as they are often run - the focus being on women and what they should do differently, or on creating a 'safe space' and thereby excluding men from the conversation entirely. 

We have a problem with a business culture that is skewed towards a culture of masculinity. It creates problems for women, sure, but it also creates problems for men, for businesses and the economy. We won't solve that by Weinstein hunting alone. We need to look for, and acknowledge our mirrored sunglasses, our different uniforms and the hundreds of other smaller, seemingly innocuous cultural elements that prop up that system. And then we need to dismantle them. Together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

95% Water

I had a Bloody Good Cry yesterday. A 'BGC', if you will. My friends will tell you that I am a pretty good crier.  A sweepstake was taken at my wedding to see how long it took before I welled up (I confounded the lot of them by not shedding a single tear on the day and then bawling like a baby a week later on honeymoon when we renewed our vows with Elvis in Vegas. Go figure.) I cry for many reasons - hormones, tiredness, frustration, happiness, acts of kindness. I used to be ashamed of it. It isn't good to cry, so society will tell you. Big girls don't. Babies do. It's weak, unprofessional, manipulative, selfish, makes other people feel bad and you look bad. So many reasons to bottle it up, keep a stiff upper lip. But these days I am not ashamed of it, and here's why: Science Crying is one of your body's ways of getting rid of chemicals that you don't need, and generating those that make you feel better. When you have a BGC you shed hormones and ch

Here's to the Sloggers

As part of my work over the past few years I've spent a lot of time in project meetings relating to HR Systems implementations - first UK wide, now global. I'm not a systems guru, or an IT geek (in fact the thought of me tinkering around with tech would make my brother - our family's actual IT guru - cry with laughter) but I love a problem to solve and the utopia of reliable, accessible, agile data that drives all the transformational activity we as a business want to achieve is one I've been determined to reach. Consequently, solving that problem landed with me.  It's not glamourous. In fact if you want to send most HR and operational people into a mild coma, you could do worse than start talking about data fields and user profiles and interfaces. The challenge with HR and systems is that HR people LOVE the front end. They are crazy about shiny techy toys, about getting stuff online, about social and intuitive and all that jazz. But they don't want to lift th

The Lost Art of Listening

We don't listen enough. In a world where all of us are broadcasters, content creators, self-promoters, listening has become a lost art. We're too busy trying to saying something smart/witty/provocative/heartfelt, too busy trying to stand out. Ironically, too busy trying to be heard. We forget to listen. We tweet, we Insta, we SnapChat, the old folks still Facebook, recruiters and weirdos LinkedIn. And in those worlds, we are concerned with broadcast. Look at me. Hear me. Read what I have to say. Behold what I had for breakfast. And if I don't want to hear what you say? I can mute you, un-follow you or de-friend you. That way, you have to listen to me, but I can 'la-la-la' your reality out of mine with the click of a button or a swipe of my finger.  And its a problem. Because growth doesn't happen with the volume dial up. Connection doesn't happen without reception. We don't learn anything new while we are talking. No real understanding was ever